24 ElliptiGO Athletes competed in the Tokyo Olympic Games! We were watching and cheering for each of them and several of them came home with some new hardware.
Big congratulations to Molly Seidel for earning her bronze medal in the Marathon. This was only Molly’s third marathon EVER and she finished in third place at 2:27:46, just 26 seconds behind the gold medal winner. Molly is now the third woman to bring home an Olympic medal for Team USA in the Marathon, following Deena Kastor in 2004 and Joan Benoit in 1984. What’s next for Molly? While we would love to see her climb Palomar in October to defend her ElliptiGO World Championship title, she is now focused on competing at the New York City Marathon in November.
Bashir Abdi won a bronze medal in the Men’s Marathon, finishing in 2:10:00. It was the first medal for Belgium in the Olympic marathon event since 1976. Bahir, who came to Belgium as a refugee from Somalia when he was 13-years-old, was delighted to be able to give something back to a country that he is proud to call home.
Allyson Felix earned a bronze in the 400 meters and a gold in the 4×400 Relay. This makes Felix the most decorated US Olympian in Track & Field history with 11 Olympic medals, surpassing Carl Lewis. Felix trails only Paavo Nurmi, the 1920’s distance runner from Finland who has 12 medals.
Many ElliptiGO athletes accomplished other records and goals along the way. Aliphine Tuliamuk competed in the marathon only 6 months after having a child and Abdi Abdirahman became the oldest US Marathoner ever to compete in an Olympics!
Here is a recap of all the athletes that competed:
- Molly Seidel (USA) – Bronze Medal
- Andrea Deelstra (NED) – 44th
- Hanne Verbruggen (BEL) – 49th
- Jill Holterman (NED) – 63rd
- Aliphine Tuliamuk (USA) – Did Not Finish
- Bashir Abdi (BEL) – Bronze Medal
- Koen Naert (BEL) – 10th
- Abdi Abdirahman (USA) – 41st
- Dieter Kersten (BEL) – 59th
Women’s 10,000 Meters
- Emily Sisson (USA) – 10th
- Dom Scott Efurd (RSA) – 20th
Susan Krumins (NED) – Did Not Finish
Women’s 5,000 Meters
- Rachel Schneider (USA) – 7th in 1st Round Heat – Did not advance to Final (17th Overall)
Women’s 3,000 Meter Steeplechase
- Gesa Krause (GER) – 5th in Final
- Genevieve Gregson (AUS) – Qualified for Final but Did Not Finish (Injury)
Men’s 3,000 Meter Steeplechase
- Mason Ferlic (USA) – 8th in 1st Round Heat – Did not advance to Final (21st Overall)
Women’s 1,500 Meters
- Cory McGee (USA) – 12th in Final
- Heather MacLean (USA) – 12th in Semi-Final Heat (21st Overall)
- Natalia Hawthorn (CAN) – 10th in 1st Round Heat – Did not advance to Semi-Final (31st Overall)
- Aisha Praught Leer (JAM) – 10th in 1st Round Heat – Did not advance to Semi-Final (40th Overall)
Men’s 800 Meters
- Elliot Giles (GBR) – 3rd in Semi-Final Heat – Did not advance to Final (11th Overall)
Women’s 400 Meters
- Allyson Felix (USA) – Bronze Medal
Women’s 4×400 Meter Relay
- Allyson Felix (USA) – Gold Medal
- Guusje Steenhuis (NED) – 7th
Its a “Runners Best Friend”
Nice! Congratulations to all these athletes! I may not bring home an Olympic medal by riding my ElliptiGO, but if the products are GOod enough for these athletes, they are probably GOod enough for the rest of us.